Tuesday 22 May 2018

Tips for having your dream Wedding on a budget

Please don't be misled by the title, if your dream is to get married in a castle and you have a £5000 budget then be prepared to compromise or to carry on saving! This post is more suitable for people like myself that had dreams of a big wedding, a pretty small budget and the ability to compromise!

Pinterest is your best friend
Be prepared to lose your evenings and weekends. On the run up to our wedding almost all of my free time was spent making things. I made my bouquet, I made the boutineers, I made signs for the reception and even though I was stressed out I still enjoyed the whole process.
If you're less creative then try enlisting friends to help you out with things like centrepieces and invitations, just promise that you will repay the favour and help them out with your own skills and expertise.

Buy an off the rack dress
Either in a specific off the rack wedding dress shop or depending on your personality it can be a vintage dress, high street dress or even a hand made dress from a seamstress.
My dress was a very reasonably priced off the rack dress, I then had alterations done professionally and when I picked the dress up it fitted my body perfectly!
If you are buying off the rack I definitely recommend having alterations done. For a small fee your dress will be adapted to your exact figure.
If you're like me and your body fluctuates a lot, have your alterations done about a month before so you don't have to worry about your dress being too tight/loose on the big day!


Do your own hair or makeup
I trust my makeup skills but not my hair styling skills, so I booked a hairdresser appointment for the morning of my wedding but saved money by doing my own makeup.
If you decide on doing either then make sure to have several practises, photograph yourself, wear it for the day and properly put it to the test.
If you're less skilled with makeup but still plan on doing your own on the big day then I recommend visiting makeup counters for a quick lesson and also to invest in great makeup products that will look amazing all day long. For both hair and makeup the obvious tip is to watch a lot of YouTube videos, there are vast amounts of videos of step by step bridal looks that are so informative and there is something for every style and personality.

Shop around for everything!
Don't just panic buy the first thing that you see. Make a habit of shopping around, checking online and asking friends for advice when it comes to making purchases.
Even if you end up saving a small amount per item, it all adds up in the end.


Invest in an event planner
This is something that not many people even consider but for me it made a huge difference. We planned our wedding in seven months, which absolutely flew by!
Venues were booked up, caterers weren't replying to me, I was in full panic mode.
Once we had our wedding planner on board everything fell in to place. Within our first meeting she had found us multiple venue options and we went from thinking we were never going to find a reception venue, to being completely spoiled for choice!
You are paying for their imagination, remember they do this for a living. They know every trick, every secret venue, they have relationships with all of the local caterers and photographers. Hiring an event planner will elevate so much stress and ultimately save you a lot of money on things that you and me could never even dream of.
You tell them your budget and they plan your wedding within that budget!
I was helped by Helen from Opulence Wedding and Event planning.

Go to wedding fayres
Not only is this really fun to do and great for helping you get ideas for your big day, but vendors will give you amazing deals.
If you book things on the day, or later on using a flyer that they provide then you can save massive amounts. Another bonus is meeting the vendors face to face, immediately checking availability and being able to build a relationship. 


Don't be extra
... but don't compromise on what is important to you. For example we wanted the wedding car and video but we didn't get a band or an expensive evening venue. You need to choose what is the most important thing for you and cut out things that don't mean as much.

Be true to yourself
This doesn't necessarily have anything to do with money and budgeting but I think it's the most important thing for me to say.
Remember that it is your wedding, a reflection of yours and your significant others personalities and relationship.
In the run up to my wedding my mental health was destroyed and I let people talk me in to things that didn't reflect my wants. It's your day, don't let people walk all over you, sway you and try to guilt trip you.
Your happiness always comes first!





Thank you for reading and good luck with your wedding planning fun. Being married to your significant other is the best feeling in the world!

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Wolves and Flames. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig